Sunday, February 19, 2006

Memory

Memory, its a nice thing we humans have. Without it, we'd wake up everyday and wonder who we are, where we are, well...just about everything since well we woudln't remember everything and we could never build up on what we already know. Its so important that when we build semi-thinking beings (ie computers), its one of the most important factors we consider. It is however in humans imperfect, unlike in our electronic "friends" (ie conveninces we call computers). That much is indisputable.

This brings us a few questions. What do we end up remembering and forgetting? Why do we remember some things rathar then others? Why do certain things "jog your memory" and cause you to think about something you thought you'd forgotten.

Now I'm sure there is some nueroscientist out there that can help explain things, and some psychologiests that are willing to throw in their 2 cents as well. Since I don't have either at my disposal at the minute and research at this hour and state of sleepiness is more befitting of a student then yours truly...I'm left with only my own thoughts about this. How lucky for you my faithful blog reader!! :-P

I assert that its almost impossible to answer those questions because I am sure its is different more differencet cases etc. My thought on the matter is that we should just be conscious of the imperfection of our memories and deal with it. What other choice do we really have? Some people deal with it better then others. I know in the past I've made assertions purely based on memory and have even been quick to accuse others of having "selective memory". The truth is everyone has selective memory. I've probably been wrong almost as many times as I've been right. The thing is this though. Some people are more "thinking" people, and some are more "feeling" people (according to tests like Myers Brigg etc). Our brains probably work differently, but I think memory is most often dominated by feeling. Events that cause some reaction to your emotions often lead more lasting impressions. Intellectual topics that need memorization and are less basely attached to feelings are force fed almost. One tells oneself its important to remember thus causing a certain amount of incentive or pressure to remember...this then tranlates into sufficient emotional connection to produce lasting memory. I dunno, I guess I have half answered why I think people remember things even though I just said I wouldn't worry about the why. But then again....I have a point (who woulda thunk?!), and the point is relating to the "be conscious of it and deal with it" part of my thinking. Well, what can you do to remember things better? What would you want to remember? Say, its a good event that generates a good feeling. We'd want to remember that, right? I'm guessing that's a yes. So what does being conscious of the imperfect memory have to do with that? Well, I think that when one realizes they are in such a moment, one should slow down a bit - think about how they are feeling and really bask in their own emotional reward. This should create a more lasting good memory (if you take my assumptions to be somewhat close to the truth). Perhaps this is what people mean when they say "Stop to sell the roses" or "take time to appreciae the little things in life". And yes, I love cliches - I think they are around because they are forever relevant.

Well, this is me recalling a great memory now - though it may be colored by time one way or another - I can't help but feel, it is still great.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home